Thursday, April 30, 2009

copper pipes in the garden

Look at this awsome trellis! Lovely!

Gardening has taken over my life. Not that I mind. Every spare minute I have I spend piddling around my plants trying to find something to do with them (besides wait for them to grow) and when I don't have a spare minute, I'm thinking up great ideas to do with plants when my spare minutes starts ticking again. That and the internet sometimes run my life. In fact, I just burned some pancakes that I forgot about because I was too focused on reading about and writing about planting and the different ways to do it.


So then I put the rest of the batter in to make a super fat one so I wouldn't have to pay attention much longer.


Mmm-mm. Coconut milk pancakes with yogurt and kefir.

So, in my pre-occupation with gardening, I came home during a break between jobs and decided to do a little more with recycled self-watering containers. I have this jade plant that started out as a cutting I found on the sidewalk. Now it's growing like, well, jade in a tropical climate. That is to say fast.

So I got my bottles and foam and cut it all to the right size



Then I got my cuttings and set everything up




Then I trimmed off the bottom 2 inches of leaves





Then I stuck'em in the soil and filled up the resevoirs and watered the tops a little




8 oz. bottles are the perfect size for rooting, and when they're stable I'll take them in to where I work to repot.



4 comments:

Christina said...

Oh my those pancakes sound delicious. Do you have a recipe to share? What darling little plants. If you weren't so far away I'd bring my own little seedlings over to play!

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Nan, remember my friend the gardening woman in Pocatello who would get big coils of copper pipe from the recycling place and transform them into plant-climbing sculptures?

They're beautiful. You could do similar things with bamboo (and string or wire).

Unknown said...

wow. Can't you come home and show me how to do this? That is a brilliant way to do seedlings, by the way.

Geo said...

Oh, man! This is inspiring me. I am dreaming of copper.