I have to get a birth certificate. Otherwise I can't register for school. Silly huh? So I've been not ordering one all week because it seems difficult. However, I think today is the day. School, is another matter. Still not decided if that's the best choice. I found an arborists certification study guide in the library, and was very willing to be distracted from the birth certificate project...
In the meantime, I've been doing a little more research on lasagna gardening, or no till gardening, and I found this video that I though was pretty cool. It's a lot simpler than lasagna gardening. The argument is that the preparation of a regular garden is what depletes the soil of nutrients. That if plants are left to decompose in the soil, they will leave way more nutrients than they took, and some of the microbiotic life forms necessary in the soil for good vegetation are killed when exposed to too much oxygen. So instead of turning the soil and taking out all of the old roots and plants, you cover the entire surface of your proposed garden area with a this decomposable material like cardboard or newspaper. then you cut little holes to plant your seedling and cover the rest of the bed with straw to keep moisture in. the old plants underneath are killed by lack of sunlight and decompose under the cardboard leaving the nutrients they'd been using available for the new plants to use. At the end of the growing season after everything is harvested, the plants are cut at the base of the stem and left to decompose on the soil. The roots are left to decompose under the soil. Also, this method uses a type of crop rotation with legumes to fix nitrogen into the soil. This sounds really promising and (my favorite, what I always look for) EASY. Less work for better nutrients. DELEGATION. yes! My favorite. Anybody ready to blitz yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment