I looked up wiggly wigglers, (they have great accents Heidi, I can see why you like it so much!) and listened to the podcast on GM seeds. What worries me is not so much ecological devastation, (mostly because I didn't think of it before) but loss of ability to harvest your own seeds which would be an increase of dependance on seed providers. If the seeds of the grownup plant are viable, then I feel a lot better about it, but I also worry about genetic diversity, and for myself, would want access to as many seed possibilities as possible. So, as with most things, I've concluded that it's not the actual genetic modification that is bad, but there is opportunity to exploit and where there is opportunity, there is someone trying to take advantage of that. And, like Miss Heather the consumer says, I don't trust the farmers research or the chemical company's research, or even the government research. I don't trust many sources of research actually. Maybe just CNET.
The other thing that I looked up this morning (besides what exactly constitutes a legume) is companion planting basics. Pretty much any vegetable will benefit from beans, although plants are piccky about being planted close to onions and sunflowers. Hmm... permablitz and companion planting and permaculture... I can feel it bubbling and building into something.
2 comments:
Like compost?
: )
check out http://kootenaycoopradio.com/deconstructingdinner/
this is one of my fav podcasts. Usually.
Post a Comment