Thursday, October 02, 2008

Sweet Sweet Sour

Jacob has just left for work; it's pretty cool here this morning because we've been having some good rain. It's starting to feel a little bit like Hawaiian fall. The dichotomy of the silky air and noisy traffic always startles me, leaving a little feathery trail of confusion about whether the world is a beautiful peaceful place, or a busy hectic place; Honolulu is full of contrasts and contradictions like that for me. It develops it's own little rhythm: sweet sweet sour, bitter funny funny, still still crazy, go go go. It weighs out with sweet, funny, still and going. And rainbows. There is a giant rainbow stretched across the entire horizon right now; the doorway frames it into a painting with power lines and stair railings, gray sky and a brilliant rainbow at the very top of the canvas. Ah the sweet and still, despite noisy traffic.

When I moved here, I had one major driving thought: I didn't think I'd ever get enough sunlight. Most of my life I've enjoyed finding sunny spots and lounging in them, but now I need need needed steady warmth and predictable temperatures and bright enough light to look closely at my surroundings. Well, I've gotten plenty of sun. I've got steady predictable temperatures in most areas of my life. Being close to the equator will do that for you.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Don't rub it in or anything.:) This is lovely as are you!

Geo said...

You are a great philosopher, not to mention a romantic.

Christina said...

Oooo that was delicious, (: I was almost there with you.

Johanna said...

You got rhythm, you got sunshine...

ox.