Friday, October 17, 2008

Consignment and Fishy Personalities

I've checked all you blogs, you're all too busy to write right now, so I guess it's my turn.

I've been doing a few things lately. It seems like a very few things now that I think about it.
1. I've become a jewelry sweatshop.
2. I've spent a lot of time thinking about and remarking on the personality of my fish.

It's true, my fish has a definite personality. She comes to hang out when we sit down to eat, she blows bubbles at us and plays little fishy hide and seek games. She swims to the top of her bowl to say hello in the morning and ask for her breakfast.

She can be traumatized. We had a little 4 year old fiend over (that was supposed to be friend, but I think it's funny, so I'll leave it.) who poked the glass and startled her. For a couple of weeks she was just not herself. She didn't chase her food around, she hid every time anyone approached the bowl. I was a little distraught and spent a lot of time standing next to her bowl, feeding her one little piece of food at a time and talking to her softly. After a week or so, she started to express herself a little more.




Then 4YOF (Julia) came over again, and remembering the game she had started, she reached out to poke the glass again. I moved faster than I thought I knew how, and was kneeling in front of her holding her hands and saying " that is scary for the fish. see how she hides under the rock? let's feed her instead." (I think I actually said " if you'd like to interact with her, come get me and we'll give her some food." I've become stuffy Auntie Anna, why would I use the word 'interact' with a 4 year old?) But, Paco the fish seemed to understand, she came out of her hiding place and gracefully accepted a few flakes of fish food.

The next interaction Paco and Julia had went much smoother. Julia went and stood in front of the fishbowl, I hurried over to help her feed Paco, and then she said
"I want to poke her."
Me: "Oh, but that's not allowed, is it."
Julia: "I didn't do it!"




With jewelry, I suddenly had a rush of interest in consignment, which is great. So yesterday, I made these






to send to a store in Florida. Woo-hoo! My ultimate goal is to have work that I can take anywhere and still have an adequate income. Then I can go visiting and still be making money and paying bills. Small ambitions? Maybe, but they're mine all mine all mine.

4 comments:

Geo said...

You are not only an excellent auntie, but you are a gloriously loving and considerate fish-mommy. I'm proud to know you, gentle but firm soul.

And your jewels are beautiful in an oceanic sort of way, which is the best sort of way. If your fish could wear bracelets I know she'd choose one of yours.

In the news at our house: I have four and a half clean rooms in my house! and we got a great Italian cookie press for two clams at D.I. last week, and tonight we test it out!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Geo said...

Good job for not poking Julia.

Christina said...

ooo, very pretty, I really like them. Where do I have to go in Florida to buy one of those?

Emily said...

Love the fish story. You are so great with children!! I wish my kids could see you. I wish I could see you. Love the bracelets, too by the way.