Friday, January 30, 2009

The pets I keep

We do not have a more humane way
than instant death by slipper for
the cockroaches half dead
on their backs in the morning.

And the live ones that hurry
on their errands in the bathroom
to get water from the moist residue
around the tub, the sink.

Smack close to them on the wall
give them warning: run! hide!
Do your job in the dark
For heaven's sake, be sneaky!

8 comments:

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

This is WONderful. Who wrote it? Oh man, I SO understand!

Emily said...

hahahaha awesome!! I hate roaches! We had them in Idaho, but we let them eat poison and slowly die.
poor things....but I still hate them. I would cringe when I saw one!

moiety said...

Nan, I'm with Joh in wanting to know who wrote that. I love it, doubly so thinking about those big spiky-legged B52's - uhhhgshudder. :)

More sensitive encologically informed cockroach poetry!

love you!

Anna said...

that was me, all mine!

Johanna said...

ARE YOU SErIOUs!?

Annie, that's FABulous. Really really great. I love it.

Will you write something about giant millipedes outside at night?

Or anything else? 'Cause I want to keep reading my new favourite poet.

No, no, how about some kind of illustration to go with it? Wax resist. Or wax on cloth--what's that called? or a close up. that's pretty darn awesome and inspiring. you go poetgirl.

Johanna said...

"moist residue"

say no more.

Geo said...

I knew it. You is good.

Unknown said...

I like your poetry too.