It was SO awesome. I t was rainy and wet, and 11 miles is a long hike in one day, but I'm so glad I went and I was so happy to be hiking. Even with wet feet, sunburned shoulders (I did wear sunscreen, I promise, spf 70, but I forgot to reapply in the rain and I got sunburned in the rain. No sun visible.
We were so happy when we finally got back to the trailhead!
We ended up staying in a hotel the last night. It was wet and we were cold and had no dry socks left, and the idea of a hamburger and french fries was all that was keeping Lourdes going at the end :) Since our taxi wasn't coming until the following morning, we hitched a ride from a nice old guy with a pickup truck named Wild Bill. He drove us the hour into town to our hotel and told us all about everything on Kauai. Yep, I'm pretty sure he told us everything. About his history of big wave surfing, about his hips that didn't need to be replaced because he eats garlic and ginger and lies on the floor with his feet on a chair everyday for 5-10 minutes. About some real estate that he thought we should invest in and the little corner of the island that is completely off the grid that we could go live in if we want to avoid getting microchipped by the government. Oh yes, and how the government is going to microchip everyone to prevent identity theft and keep track of everyone. Don't get me wrong, Wild Bill was a very nice man, he willingly picked up 4 very dirty very wet people with giant packs, just on the off chance that we'd have entertaining stories to tell him. He drove us an hour, refused the money we offered for gas (we left it in his car anyway) and gave us his phone number in case we ever came back to Kauai. He is a little bit of a conspiracy theorist, but man, were we glad for a ride!
If you really want to see all the pictures go here.
If you really want to see all the pictures go here.
4 comments:
Sorry guys, I just realised that all of my pictures stayed very little. J's picassa has better photos. Also, we thought we'd forgotten the camera at home until we were headed back,so sadly, we only took a few pictures. And yes, I hiked in a dress. I highly recomend it, it's way more comfortable.
You had wild tomatoes. Wow.
xo
For a second, I thought Jacob peed those wild tomatoes. Rob thought so too.
Your photos are beautiful. Jacob's grin is beautiful. Hiking in a dress is beautiful.
And your taxi driver? Well the extras were no more than I would expect (or hope for) from a man who calls himself Wild Bill.
lol! i does kind of look like tomato pee. I wish you guys were there, maybe we can all hike it together another time.
Post a Comment