not to buy things with soy and corn in them anymore. Yep, we watched Food Inc. Now, I'm going to get the big question out of the way:
No, I don't feel like I need to become vegetarian.
But, I don't want to buy meat from a morally irresponsible source. I want chickens to be able to see sunlight in their lifetimes, not be crippled by their breasts growing faster than their legs can handle, not be pumped full of hormones. I also want them to be able to eat bugs and grass. I want to get milk from cows that are able to walk around and eat grass and are also not pumped full of hormones. Free range, organic, humane.
It makes me want to grow food MORE! Because I think that the best way to persuade companies to change their methods of production etc. is to tell them with actions, we don't need what you do, and we won't buy it unless it meets our expectations.
Are there any good places to get happy food where you are? How do you decide what to buy at the grocery store, and what to produce at home?
2 comments:
I just watched the first half of Food Inc a few days ago!!!(I'm watching the second half tonight) I have been trying to find a trustworthy source of eggs and poultry myself this week. I bought my free range eggs at Good Earth and I'm going to look at sunflower for chicken.
I don't eat cows or pigs blech. I wish I had a farm so I could raise my own meat.
Amen, amen. We are now committed to eating eggs from happy chickens, organic tofu, etc. Food, Inc. changed my brain. It's kind of a long, slow evolution, but slowly we are figuring out how to get closer to our ideal diet. I'm impatient, but working on that too.
Hey, look—
http://onbrightstreet.blogspot.com/2010/04/beautiful-blogger-award.html
Post a Comment