Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tree of life

is a potent name. I stumbled on this website while I was doing a little research on agave. Apparently some agave clinical research trials were stopped because of side affects. It's supposed to have a low glycemic index so I thought I would try using it. I've only used twice but felt like junk a couple of hours later. Just in case it's not coincidence I was checking online today (oh by the way, I also learned that if you are allergic to sunflowers or chrysanthymums, you might be allergic to stevia as well ) and I stumbled across the tree of life website.

One of the reasons that I even bothered to look at it is because I went to a lecture about a year and a half ago given by a woman who'd been in the Marshall Islands for a year (?) studying the effect of diet on the reversal of diabetes--people who'd had amputations were reversing their diabetes with diet change. I wish I could remember her name.

Anyway, I don't think that I'll be using agave anymore, unless I grow agave plants and boil the sap myself (that's actually not a bad idea, it'd be a little happy nostalgia about belly button syrup ). The next thing I will try is Stevia. Just a plant, eating the leaves. If I can find some.

You see, we got a Vita-Mix, and along with all the really yummy soups you can make, there are recipes for ice cream. Oh deliciousness. I've only eaten ice cream I think twice in the past year, because, well, it makes me feel sick every time I eat it. But, with the Vita-Mix I can make coconut milk ice cream that is really half water and only as sweet at I make it and free of any added junk preservatives. And it's oh so delicious. Mint. Vanilla. Almond. Sherbet. Oh yum.

I've tried a few different sweetners:
  • Maple syrup - by far and away the best so far. It adds a really wonderful flavor to whatever you make.
  • Honey - not bad, but I've never been a huge fan of honey. However, it's way better than
  • White Sugar - oh yuck. I had a little bit in a jar on a shelf left over from Thanks-Giving two years ago when I bought it to make a cherry pie. After I made the ice cream, I threw it away.
  • And Agave - ate the ice cream 3 hours ago. Fell asleep immediately after and woke up feeling junk. Maybe the afternoon nap? Maybe falling asleep without brushing teeth? Maybe it was too cold and that's why my stomach was a little owie?

4 comments:

Audiopest said...

So, are you diabetic? And congrats on the VitaMix! Chris and Amy just got one as well. I'd like some mint ice cream, please.

Geo said...

I wonder how mint with a shot of B grade maple would taste? Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anna said...

No, not diabetic. Just trying to avoid it and thinking about Dad a lot. Come over for mint ice cream, I'll even add chocolate for you :) And maple syrup.

Christina said...

I am so jealous that you have a vita mix!