Atira and I were looking the plant bible during breakfast.
Originally this was bought for a man that we met on the Big Island, Jeff. Jeff is a homesteading, non-elctricity using, bee keping workaholic. We decided not to rent his cool little off the grid cottage for many reasons, the main one being the upkeep of the plant nursery down the road is a full time job and I don't want to pay to work a full time landscaping job. Jeff of course sees it differently and pleaded with us to think about it before we decide no for sure, that really it's not much time to just keep the plants alive. What I didn't manage to understand and communicate about myself until later is that just keeping things alive is not happiness. That place, both places that renting would leave us in charge of, need a lot of work. To live there and not take on the projects that I see all around would be very depressing. To take them all on while trying to work full time as well would be impossible. Not a good place for us right now. Anyway, while we bought the book for him, we didn't have time to go back to his place; so we're reading it at home now. Maybe we'll see him later and then we can give it to him.
So Atira and I are reading about plants, and I've just figured out that I don't recognize any names because they are all Latin. Not that I'd recognize the common language names either. Then we came to Acer. The Maple family. Our conversation went something like this:
At: What's that? (pointing to the first picture)
An: It's a kind of maple
At: Nipple?
An: Maple. MMMMMMaple
At: Nipple?
An: Not nipple, maple. Mmmm. Mmmmay. Mmmmayple tree.
At: Mmmmm nipple tree.
An: Not nipple, mmmmaple.
At: I have a nipple.
An: Yep, but this is a mmmmmaple. Mmmay.
At: Mmmay.
An: Mmmmayple.
At: Mmm naple.
Close enough. I Get the feeling that she's going to associate nipples and trees for a while.
1 comment:
Really, I guess it's not a bad association.
Your conversation makes me happy.
Post a Comment